Friday, July 4, 2008

London

I'll continue to write more on the young adult ministry focus but for now take a detour again to describe our current travels. The official exchange has concluded and we are now in London staying with relatives of a church member from Woodville. We spent Thursday in London. St Paul's Cathedral was bigger than I ever imagined and breathtaking. We climbed to the top via stairs and looked out on London from a terrace/balcony. We spent about 3 hours altogether there. We also witnessed the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. My favorite part was the procession of the royal band into the courtyard of the palace. Hearing those brass instruments and drums play as they marched up the street and into that courtyard was awesome. It made me remember my days in the marching band and rekindle an interest in seeing some marching bands perform back home. Whether military bands like this one or good ole college marching bands (like the one I was a part of at SFA) they're all exhilarating. Fall is coming and that means football season back home. I hope to catch a college game this Fall and see a good university band at half-time.
We spent an all too brief time at the British Museum Thursday to close out our day. The artifacts are basically the result of the "spoils of war." The Brits have all this stuff because they conquered those who possessed them. Anyway, we saw the Rosetta Stone, mummies, greco-roman artifacts, and much much more.
Today is Friday July 4th and we have spent it with our host family. They are Americans, so we will celebrate Independence Day together. They've bought watermelons!
We also enjoyed some traveling around the British countryside today in Sussex where they live, with a hop over to Brighton. We stepped on to the beach on the banks of the English channel and toured a palace that King George IV had built while he was prince.
I'm sure we'll be home before I'm able to post pictures here but will do when I get the opportunity. We've got two more days in London before heading home.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Isn't London fun? Yea, you have to spend about a week to take in the British Museum. Didn't you almost pass out when you saw the Rosetta Stone? Incredible isn't it? I hope y'all have a wonderful 4th of July and enjoy the rest of your time in England!

Johnny said...

Hi Tommy thanks for visiting Whitefield Methodist, At 42 I have just discovered my faith in God and found that your sermons were truly inspirational. I didn’t get a chance to personally talk to you but as an interest I was mobilised to Iraq last year and served along side my American friends. At my darkest moments which were many, I found great comfort in my small Gideon’s bible that the Padre had given to me. Whilst under heavy mortar and rocket attacks I found myself praying which came from no where and was always the same, ‘Dear lord please protect us and forgive our sins’ I can’t explain or understand how this turn around in faith happened but I’m glad it has. I was the small guy sat at the back, God bless you and your family.

Tommy said...

Johnny - yes I remember you. Your faith experiences have obviously made you strong, you have an awesome story to share. I encourage you to get to know those folks at Whitefield even more. You have gifts to share. Thanks for sharing your story. God bless you.