Thursday, October 16, 2008

Dreams

What were your childhood dreams? What did you want to do when you "grew up?" I was reminded of this basic question while reading The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. Pausch recently died of pancreatic cancer before he reached 50 years of age. He reflected on these questions in his last lecture at Carnegie Mellon where he taught computer science. The more I thought about these the more I recalled about my own inner life as a child - what I thought about, what I dreamed about, what went through my mind at those formative times in my life. So, here goes...here are some of the childhood dreams I remember entertaining and what I thought I might want to do when I "grew up." What were yours?

1. I wanted to be President of the United States. I thought a lot about how I would get there. I loved history, especially presidential history even at a young elementary age and I concluded that a bunch of presidents were lawyers so I should be a lawyer.
2. I couldn't get all that excited about being a lawyer as a kid so I thought about being an historian since it was closer to what I loved but I didn't understand at age 9 what a historian would actually do (I did get to give tours of the US Capitol as a congressional intern during college, I think that qualifies)
3. I wanted to go to Disney World (I've gotten to visit there three times!)
4. Later as I got interested in sports I think the thought crossed my mind that I could be on TV talking about sports (here in Woodville I got to call a few games on radio!)
5. Preacher. I wanted to sit and talk and drink coffee with people all the time and talk about the church because I heard my favorite pastors do that at our dinner table with my parents. (That's how I'm spending my life now!)

What were your dreams? Do you still think about them? Which ones could you still accomplish?

3 comments:

mindy said...

I remember all of those dreams of yours...although I didn't ever realize you put the lawyer thing together - I do remember "history-man" so maybe that was your external realization :)

1. Veterinarian. I love(d) animals and wanted to spend all day with them, taking care of them, loving on them & making them feel better...then when my puppy Buddy died, I realized that I really wasn't cut out to be in there for the bad stuff - I only like the good.
2. Counselor/Teacher/Social Worker. What I toyed with for a long time was which felt right to me - all of these are ways of interacting with people in need. The more I learn about myself, the more I realize that I like one-on-one interaction the best and ministry seems to fit that the best! I love children & I love working & helping with people. So, ministry it is!
3. As a child, I remember as many little girls do, pretending to be a mom and playing with dolls. I always dreamed of whether I'd have boys or girls or both or how many or what their names would be or what they'd be like. Even when I went to college, I was confused as to what I wanted to be...but inside I knew, I want a family - more than anything, that's what I desire & want. So I'm a blessed woman with my husband & son! That has been the most fulfilling "dream come true" for me yet!!!

Tommy said...

That all fits you and I remember the veterinarian phase, it lasted a while. "History man" was my CB "handle" on our family trips. Fun stuff

Amanda said...

As a child, I wanted to be an Archeologist. I think my original motive was because it was a big word that impressed adults! :) It's funny, but while in college I discovered a passion for Anthropology and ended up knee-deep in dirt (and spiders!) on an archaeological dig one summer. I've always been interested in unique cultures, which I guess is why I love youth ministry!