Monday, June 9, 2008

National Methodist Anthem of Great Britain

When picking hymns for June 8th worship I ran across "And Can it Be That I Should Gain." It is a great Charles Wesley hymn (brother of John, founder of the Methodist movement). When I talked with the pianist at the Bridge Church, he commented that it is sort of like the British national Methodist anthem. I loved that and now after singing it at both the Bridge and Whitefield on Sunday morning, they sang like it is the national Methodist anthem. The men sang a base part underneath the last two lines of every hymn and the organist/pianists played with lots of gusto. When we sang the last verse, they really bore down on the keys and let it soar. Youth, young people and older ones alike sang it with power. It was awesome. Here are the powerful words of that hymn, verse by verse it tells the Gospel story.
1. And can it be that I should gain an interest in the Savior's blood!
Died he for me? who caused his pain! For me? who him to death pursued? Amazing love! How can it be that thou, my God, shouldst die for me? Amazing love! How can it be that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
2. 'Tis mystery all: th' Immortal dies! Who can explore his strange design? In vain the firstborn seraph tries to sound the depths of love divine. 'Tis mercy all! Let earth adore; let angel minds inquire no more. 'Tis mercy all! Let earth adore; let angel minds inquire no more.
3. He left his Father's throne above (so free, so infinite his grace!), emptied himself of all but love, and bled for Adam's helpless race. 'Tis mercy all, immense and free, for O my God, it found out me! 'Tis mercy all, immense and free, for O my God, it found out me!
4. Long my imprisoned spirit lay, fast bound in sin and nature's night; thine eye diffused a quickening ray; I woke, the dungeon flamed with light; my chains fell off, my heart was free, I rose, went forth, and followed thee. My chains fell off, my heart was free, I rose, went forth, and followed thee.
5. No condemnation now I dread; Jesus, and all in him, is mine; alive in him, my living Head, and clothed in righteousness divine, bold I approach th' eternal throne, and claim the crown, through Christ my own. Bold I approach th' eternal throne, and claim the crown, through Christ my own.

4 comments:

Susan N. said...

Tommy, what great words in the hymn, and how true, true, true. I found it in the hymnal and I do think that if one is not raised with that hymn, the music is a challenge at first. But, I think we could learn it here in Tyler County.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us...we can enjoy vicariously!

Tommy said...

Thanks Susan. Yeah, the tune is a bit of a challenge but learnable (not sure that's a word). We think about you and everyone often.

naomi said...

I love this song and was so pleased to sing it on Sunday it is so uplifting. As an experiment, I just started to sing it whilst on the telephone to my mother and despite not having a hymnbook in front of her she was able to join in to. I think it shows just how great the words are.

Tommy said...

How cool Naomi. The words are quite freeing and powerful and speak so triumphantly of the love of God. What a great story.