Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Giving Something Up, Taking Something Up, for Christ

This week is the beginning of the season of Lent. Lent is a centuries-old tradition of spiritual preparation for the Easter celebration. It begins on Ash Wednesday with worship centered around repentance and renewal. It continues for 40 days, not including Sundays, until Easter Sunday.
Many Christians are accustomed to living through this time just as any other and then waking up Easter morning to celebrate. While this is maybe the easier path, it is the less fulfilling and meaningful one. Lent is here to empower us to walk the journey to the cross with Jesus. When we explore the depth and riches of his journey - his teachings, his healings, his words of life, Palm Sunday, the last supper, his death - then we more powerfully experience meaning of Easter. Resurrection, new life, hope for tomorrow and forever - all of these cannot be fully realized by us if we just wake up on Sunday and think about the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ for that one hour of worship.
I want to encourage you as strongly as I know how, to experience Lent this year and walk it with your brothers and sisters at Woodville UMC.
In addition to all the special worship opportunities, small group studies, and mission opportunities, I want to share with you what I am doing as a Christian disciple this season. For Lent this year, I am giving up caffeinated drinks, a tough one for a young parent whose children don't always sleep through the night! However, I will drink decaf! The purpose of "giving something up" is to leave new space for prayer. So when 2pm comes and I am a little drowsy, I will pray, because afterall, God is my true strength!
Second, I and going to "take something up." I've been very neglectful with exercise. I'm not taking care of the body God gave me as well as I could. I've been talking about the need to exercise for a long time, now I'm going to actually do it.
In addition to worship, study and mission, will you join me in -
Giving Something Up and Taking Something Up for Christ?!

No comments: