Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Christian Accountability

The season of Lent is underway. We are challenging one another to "give up something and take up something for Christ." I've shared with you all what I am giving up and taking up (caffeinated drinks and exercise) and I do that so I will be held accountable. Accountability is what I want to reflect on with you this week.
I don't come naturally to accountability, many of us don't. I am self-motivated, comfortable with initiating new ideas and commitments. I can usually hold myself accountable by giving myself a good talking to when I slip or having a time of confession in private prayer when I make mistakes or don't follow through on commitments. The trick is this. We human beings can become good at staying right where we are. We say things like, "how I pray is fine, how often I worship is fine for me, my relationship with my spouse, children or friends is just as it should be, my physical health is what it is..." and so forth. We are good at consoling ourselves and not always good at challenging ourselves.
Christian accountability invites us to grow as disciples of Jesus Christ, together. If we feel led by the Spirit this Lent to try something new like fasting, or praying more or differently, we are more likely to meet that leading of the Spirit if we mention it to others. Because, you see, at the moment we mention it, we become accountable to it. The call for fellow Christians then is to gently inquire with our Christian friends - how is it with your giving up caffeinated drinks? How is it with exercise? This way, we are held accountable and we grow in grace because of it. You all have been wonderful to ask me those questions.
I heard recently a powerful word about what a true Christian friend does. They are one who "hates the sins we love, and loves the gifts we ignore." Christian accountability is not just about harshness therefore, it's not about judgementalism or critique, it's about true love. It's one that also sees the gifts of God in us.
I pray that you all have such a Christian friend. If you don't, pray for the courage to find one, to mention your Lenten commitment to someone. Ask how your friends are doing with theirs. In so doing, we grow as disciples of Jesus Christ, we walk the journey to the cross with him and find true and eternal life.

No comments: