Tuesday, June 16, 2009

check in time with God

I am inspired by something that our youth director Jimmy Robertson is doing. For the early part of the summer, he is making one-on-one appointments with our youth. Each of them has the opportunity to sign up for these appointments. If you are a parent or a youth in our church, call Jimmy and make that appointment if you haven’t already. The purpose of these appointments is to check in on their relationship with Christ. They are talking about the Bible, their faith, what questions they have, where they see sin, grace and resurrection in their lives and in the world.
This discipling exercise, I call it, reminds me of Psalm 139. “Lord you have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from far away…where can I go from your spirit? Or where can I flee from your presence?...for it was you who formed my inward parts; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works…search me O God and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. See if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”
Because summer is a good time to slow down for a check in time with God, our program staff – Dixie, Jim, Stephen, Jimmy, Yolanda, and myself are meeting each week for an hour and a half to pray together and reflect theologically on our ministry (where we see God working…); we are also reading a book together – Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, a Christian classic.
One of my prayers for you this summer is that you’ll pray psalm 139 with me and let it call us to a check in time with God. Ask yourself where you see God working; where you see sin in you and in the world and then where you see grace at work and resurrections happening. Soon, we’ll create some small groups so you can do this in a trusted small group as well.

No comments: